Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Growing up

Well I have a thought I'd like to share with you. When I was younger, even right up into my 30's, people would tell me I was niave. I would just be myself, happy, outgoing, even silly and people would say what a sweet niave person I was. One man even told me that he meant niave in the nicest sort of way and that's what he loved about me. I've always had a hard time understanding why someone would think I was niave. Was it just because I liked to have fun? Political conversations just didn't interest me. I hated being called niave, no matter how nicely it was meant. I felt like I must be stupid or behind where everyone else was in their mentality.

Now that I'm 40 though, people don't call me that anymore. It's funny. What has changed? I'm still outgoing and happy and even silly sometimes. I get along with everyone. I even had a job interview a few weeks ago that I thoroughly enjoyed. I just relaxed and talked about my current job and my ideas and it was fun. I nearly got the job on personality. I wasn't qualified at all. So now, my coworker who sits next to me always says that I'm "gregarious"! Uuuggghh! I thought at first that that description of me MUST be better than Niave. But you know... when gregarious is said in the same tone niave was always said, it feels just the same.

Well, I guess that's what growing up is. When one is niave when they are young, they are gregarious at middle age. I wonder what I'll be when I'm old. Doddering old fool, probably! LOL

No comments: